Monday, April 4, 2011

Unfit to be Tank Mates...


There’s been plenty happening at Clay Corner Inn, but the most exciting is that we’re creating packages! Once we have them completed, we’ll tell you more about them, but now it’s time to continue the story of Opal and Roger… Within a couple days, I started to recognize their habits. Roger is a speed demon and would zip from one end of the tank to the other. He also enjoys jumping out of the water and chasing Opal. Opal is calmer and prefers to be near the cover of plants or stare at her reflection. She would always swim to me when I walked in the room, but Roger would not.

One evening at feeding time, I noticed Opal seemed uncomfortable and was constantly swimming away from Roger. (I would too because Roger has creepy red eyes!) What I noticed was unnerving. Her back and top fins had been partially nibbled off! Well now it made sense why she was always trying to hide or show me her fins. I wanted to help her, but wasn’t sure what to do. My only realistic option was to divide the tank and keep Opal and Roger on separate sides. (PetSmart does have a 14 day return policy for fish that don’t get along, but I was already attached and couldn’t entertain the idea of returning Roger!) Unfortunately, the pet store was closed for the night, so I said a prayer and hoped that Opal would make it through one more night.


Thankfully, Opal was still alive the next morning and once breakfast was served and my guests checked out, I headed to the pet store and bought a tank divider. It’s a very simple contraption and easy to install. My favorite thing is the tiny holes so water can flow through. This was important so I wouldn’t need two filters or heaters. Finally, Opal was safe and could start the healing process and fortunately for me, I had piece of mind!


I learned that male gourami can be territorial with other males in the tank. I thought I had a male/female pair, but apparently Opal is a boy, even though I’m refusing to acknowledge it! By the end of the day, she seemed content and was starting to relax. Roger seemed angry that I took his fun away and kept trying to find his way around the divider. I was still a bit hesitant whether or not the divider would be strong enough to thwart Roger’s persistent attempts at breaking through, but only time will tell…

No comments:

Post a Comment